My daughter discovered her love of mushroom soup at Preschool and we now have our own version. We leave it chunky yet thin.
2 cups cooked brown rice
1.5 tablespoon unsalted butter
1/2 shallot, minced
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
8 oz. white or baby bella mushrooms, chopped
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (use stock if you have it)
2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1 tablespoon thyme, chopped
1/8 teaspoon paprika
1 cup 1% milk
1. Cook rice per instructions on bag/box. Meanwhile, melt butter over medium-high heat.
2. Add shallot and onion and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Add mushrooms, reduce heat to medium and cook about 3-4 minutes.
4. Add broth, parsley, thyme, and paprika, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Add milk and rice, heat thoroughly and serve.