Sauteed Balsamic Brussel Sprouts with Onion, Garlic and Red Peppers

by Jennifer on January 11, 2011

Post image for <span id=Sauteed Balsamic Brussel Sprouts with Onion, Garlic and Red Peppers" />

With the current cabbage obsession in this house, I decided it was finally time for me to forget the trauma from childhood and introduce brussel sprouts into the families diet. To be honest, I figured I would be doing with an ‘act’ about how darn tootin great these lil buggers are but golly gee, I was surprised to find I am now a fan….well, of sauteed brussel sprouts.

I sent out a tweet asking ‘Have any favorite brussel sprouts recipes?’ and I got a big response. It seems there are three kinds of brussel sprout fans: The ‘Sautee” team, the ‘Roasted Team’ and the ‘Why would you want to eat those?’ team. Therefore, I decided that I would dive in with sauteed and roasted attempts. After two experiments, I have found that I am not a roasted brussel sprouts fans however, I am definitely a saute-these-babies-two-days-in-a-row-fan!

Plus, the kids are now sauteed brussel sprouts fans although they did ask ‘Mommy, why are we eating these two days in a row?’. Note to self: easy on the same vegetable overdose.

Sauteed Brussel Sprouts with Onion, Garlic and Red Pepper (Yield: 4)
Ingredients:
10 oz. brussel sprouts, halved
1/2 sweet onion, chopped into long slivers
1/2 red pepper, cut into 1 inch slivers
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 Tablespoon olive oil
1/8 teaspoon salt
dash of ground pepper
2 Tablespoon balsamic vinegar

Directions:
1. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions, reduce heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes, stirring often.

2. Add brussel sprouts, garlic and red peppers and toss to cover with oil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook brussel spouts while continuing to toss until browned, about 8 minutes. Add the balsamic vinegar and cook 2 more minutes.

3. Serve immediately

Are you a Sauteed or Roasted fan? Or both?

Brussel Sprouts pre-roasting: someday we may be together. Be patient.

Angela @ Nine More Months January 11, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I’ve never tried them sauteed or roasted. I’m actually a steaming fan. I steam them and then toss with a little salt pepper and lemon juice/zest.

Jennifer January 11, 2011 at 11:03 pm

So funny Angela as my husband just said that we need to steam and boil them. Thanks for the suggestion

Kelly January 11, 2011 at 11:09 pm

Both! Just made sauteed brussel sprouts with almonds the other day!

Heather January 13, 2011 at 9:49 am

This looks like an utterly fabulous recipe. I will have to make it! I’m still trying to get my husband used to the idea that someday, yes, I am going to make us eat brussels sprouts. ;)

Krista January 13, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I just bought some brussel sprouts for tonight’s dinner. I was just going to saute them with oil and balsamic vinegar, but this looks crazy good (and will use up my leftover red pepper)!

Jennifer January 13, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Let me know what you think of the sprouts and red pepper. :)

Medifast Coupon January 13, 2011 at 5:42 pm

These look amazing! The balsamic would add such a nice flavour to the vegetables. They look crisp and full of flavour.

tt in nyc January 13, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Oh man, I can’t ever get enough sprouts! Two favorite ways are shredded (use food processor blade!) In a slaw with fennel/onion/whatever is in the fridge and a vinegrette. Other favorite is brown in pan with a little oil, add half can of light coconut milk and put on a lid until tender and coconut milk reduces- amazing ontop of quinoa with some sesame seeds and cilantro

Jamie January 17, 2011 at 7:16 pm

This is DELICIOUS! The last time I tried brussel sprouts, they were cooked in brown butter and almonds and I vowed never to make them again. But these were sweet and even my 2-year old liked them (my less adventurous 3-year old said, “I don’t like that,” without even a bite, but maybe he’ll try the leftovers tomorrow). Thanks for a great recipe!