Mommy, I Want To Be with You Everywhere

by Jennifer on March 18, 2011

Post image for Mommy, I Want To Be with You Everywhere

This child brought me to tears last night. See, this brand new five year old has been attached to mommy that past two weeks. He does not want me to leave him at preschool or to run errands and he wants to go everywhere with me. He insists.

I thought everything was fine last night and that he was only having a hard time sleeping because he was full of energy. When I heard his little shuffling feet in the hallway at 9:30, I headed upstairs to chase him back into bed and firmly get him to settle in, but then the sniffles became evident.

I said ‘What is wrong Monkey?’ and the crying began full force. He was trying to tell me something but all I could make out was a few hints of the English language and some gulping of tears. I guided him to deep relaxing breaths. My heart was already in pain knowing he was so sad.

I asked him again to share his sadness and then he said ‘I want to be with you everywhere’.  I smiled as the tears welled in my eyes. I knew those feelings. I still know those feelings. Sometimes you just need to be needed and close to those who love you the most.

You want to be with and near your biggest supporter, the ones who love you unconditionally. The ones you know will love you like no other. You don’t want them out of your sight. I am happy to be his ‘everywhere and everything’.

He also made me laugh and smile very much and so I will leave you with something to bring a smile to your face: statements from my son:

“My back hurts because I exercise too much”

“Mooooommmmm! I am not full because only my water pipe had too much but my food pipe still wants more”

And this hum-dinger that he shared with the Kindergarten teacher who interviewed him:  “Do you know that 15 away from 109 is 96?’ Not 94, when I asked you in the other room you said 94.”, He turned to me and said “See Mommy, grown-ups don’t know everything.”

Jeanette March 18, 2011 at 10:20 pm

That is so sweet! Enjoy these years where your little one’s life revolves around mommy. I treasure my youngest as I know that too soon, he will be an independent teenager.

Marla March 18, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Awwww, that is so sweet. I hope to always be the center of my kids world in some capacity as they will always be the center of mine. Give that little guy a hug.

Julie March 19, 2011 at 10:03 am

So adorable! I love 5 year old boys. Going to go hug mine now. Although he’s in more of an “I don’t need you mom” phase. Sniff.

Lucy March 19, 2011 at 11:26 am

Oh how I miss those days! My “baby” is 17 and though he loves his mommy and is still very sweet, the days of wanting to be with me everywhere are long gone. Treasure it, treasure it, treasure it, even when it becomes annoying and you want your space. You will have years of space.

Marly March 19, 2011 at 12:43 pm

What a sweet story. And good thing you have it documented so when he’s 15 and doesn’t want you around as much, you can remind him of this day. And you can remember these days too. Like Lucy says above – treasure it now!

Cara Hanson March 19, 2011 at 3:08 pm

This post had me in tears. I also have a 5 year old, very sensitive son. For about a week he didn’t want to go to bed and kept crying. He finally told me he was afraid that I would die and he didn’t want to be without me. Sometimes we don’t realize the deep thoughts that our kids hold in their hearts!

Shelby March 23, 2011 at 5:54 am

LOL, you left me with a tear and a smile. Our children are the most precious. My heart aches because I can’t be with mine all the time anymore. Its sad when they grow up and leave.

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting March 23, 2011 at 11:55 am

Aww, how sweet is he!?

Heather Davis March 24, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Yeah you will definitely have to show him this when he is older. He will hate it but it will be a good reminder of how much he once needed you. If only we could bottle them up at this age! Lovely x