Egg, Scallion, Feta & Tomato Breakfast Sandwich Recipe

by Jennifer on July 11, 2011

Post image for <span id=Egg, Scallion, Feta & Tomato Breakfast Sandwich Recipe" />

I have something to admit. This admission may cause me to join the ranks of the ‘What she thinkin?’ Club but I am fine with that. In fact, elect me the President if you must.

I love when my babies sleep with me. Granted, they are now 5 and 7 but I love when one of them comes to me every once in a while with puppy dog eyes and ask if they can sleep with me. Now, this does not occur too often but last night my son slept right next to me. This caused me quite a bit of unrest.

See, when one of my children is next to me sleeping, I can’t hep but stare. I am in awe of them and that my husband and I created them. It’s magical to me and seeing that most of us don’t take kindly to our parents staring at us for 5 minutes increments during the day, I love this staring opportunity.

I climbed into bed and was reading a book but kept finding myself putting the book aside while I stared at my son. My husband came to kiss me goodnight and caught me staring with moist eyes and said ‘Isn’t he handsome?’ (same scenario with my daughter saying ‘Isn’t she beautiful?’) Yes indeed.

Naturally, this staring at my son until 1 am and not eating until 10 am this morning made me feel a bit cranky. In fact, I was doing a touch of weight lifting at the gym this morning when realized I had not eaten breakfast yet. As I drove home I knew what I was going to make: this sandwich that I made for a friend last week.

Egg, Scallion, Feta & Tomato Breakfast Sandwich Recipe
1 organic egg
1/2 scallion, chopped
1 tablespoon feta, crumbled
1-2 slices of organic tomato
2 slices of your favorite bread or sandwich round
salt and ground pepper, optional
olive oil spray

Directions:
1. Spritz a pan with non-stick spray and heat over medium heat. Scramble an egg and pour into the heated pan.

2. Lightly toast the bread. Add the scallions to the eggs and allow to cook.

3. Scatter the feta over the eggs or the bottom piece of toast. Top with eggs, tomato and top piece of bread. You may not need any salt due to the feta.

What are some of your favorite breakfast foods?

Crystal's Cozy Kitchen July 11, 2011 at 10:02 pm

I love it when I get to cuddle next to my toddler. I also LOVE watching him sleep, there is nothing so peaceful and wonderful to see.
Breakfast foods that I love are waffles and french toast – especially when topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit.

Whitney - MWS July 11, 2011 at 10:09 pm

Oh I totally love when my kids come in at night too. Don’t tell my husband. We only recently weaned my 4 year old from not coming in every night anymore but I miss him! When he does come in, I do the late night stare of Mom-amazement too. Plus it’s just so nice when they are still, peaceful and not talking back :D

Debbie July 11, 2011 at 10:10 pm

My 5 year old still climbs in bed with us somewhere in the middle of every night. I stopped pretending it bothered me. I kinda miss it when he’s not there in the morning. All of my kids slept with us for a while. The older two sleep on their own just fine now, I know he will too, eventually. I’m enjoying it for now.

Rachel - A Southern Fairytale July 11, 2011 at 10:28 pm

This, is actually one of my favorites ;-) minus the feta, but only because I don’t keep it on hand.

Jennifer July 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Hi Rachel! What would be your cheese of choice?

Jennifer July 11, 2011 at 10:32 pm

I often joke with the kids that they need to slow down with the growing up – they say ‘I can’t!’

Jennifer July 11, 2011 at 10:33 pm

My hubby knows I enjoy kicking him out once in a while. I joke with him that the kids are cuter.

Kathleen July 11, 2011 at 11:04 pm

I’m grateful my kids do NOt sleep with me. It would be a bit disconcerting since they are both in their 20’s! I used to love it when they were young though!!!
I love breakfast sandwiches like this. Mine usually ends up in a tortilla

Jeanette July 11, 2011 at 11:54 pm

Jennifer – love how you are savoring the precious moments with your little ones, they grow up so quickly!

Jo-Lynne {Musings of a Housewife} July 12, 2011 at 6:19 am

that looks delicious! and my babies still sleep with me sometimes – my 5 y/o almost every night. LOVE.

Faith @ For the Health of It July 12, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Breakfast sandwiches of any kind are one of my favorite breakfasts – ever! The addition of feta has to be amazing – I don’t think there’s anything that feta doesn’t make better!

Fran July 13, 2011 at 4:47 am

I love bacon in the morning and a BLT sandwich is even better!

Sanjeeta kk July 13, 2011 at 7:07 am

Love this refreshing and colorful sandwich! I love Sandwiches with veggies and Mayo fillings.

brandi July 13, 2011 at 10:17 am

I love breakfast sandwiches! especially with feta – so good :)

lori ann July 13, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Hi, ladies :) Something to ponder….my sister has an anthropology degree and had MANY unpleasant debates with our mother regarding the sleeping arrangements of kids/parents. From her (very realistic) perception, it is really an issue of culture that determines where children sleep. In countries where people have 1 or 2 rooms, it’s not 1 child/1 room to themselves. In some cultures, that would seem lonely and even mean! Some of her international fellow students were horrifed by cribs, and wondered why American parents put their babies in “cages.” So…it’s really a matter of perspective. If time in bed with your children is soothing, peaceful, and loving, why deny yourselves because of an arbitrary cultural taboo? Eventually, your kids will migrate to their own beds. Meanwhile, enjoy your special time with them. :) (same goes for the weaning debate. Do what’s right for you and your child!)