Food that Heals: The Perfect Marinara Sauce Recipe

by Jennifer on February 6, 2012

Post image for Food that Heals: The Perfect Marinara Sauce Recipe

Do you appreciate what you have and who is in your life? Do you smile while doing the dishes and taking the umpteenth load of folded laundry up the stairs?

Most days I sing while performing these tasks and even tear up sometimes while waiting for my babes to come out from school as I know how lucky I am. However, there are some days where crappy things keep happening, I am too tired to appreciate my ability to be perform these daily tasks or I have a case of the blues.

Here is the real kicker though; Life sometimes reminds us how lucky we are because we lose people we love, relationships end, our health fails or those we love are hurt. When one of these circumstances happens to people we know, we often turn to food to try to comfort them.

Heck, a good meal warms our souls and often brings a smile to our faces right? Recently, I have needed to comfort myself and my husband and am going to share why: My mom was physically assaulted recently however, I can not share more details as there is a criminal lawsuit pending. If that was not bad enough, it has been extremely hard for our family because the person who ‘allegedly’ harmed her, was also someone we loved.

We also have friends who have had a sudden health scare and so I have wanted to comfort them so I have been in the kitchen whipping up some ‘love’ so they do not need to spend time cooking.  When it comes to making food for families, you can almost always rely on pasta to keep kids fed and smiling. Therefore, I have been making up batches of this marinara sauce and using it on lasagna, stuffed shells, meatballs and as the perfect pasta topper.

Now before I share this recipe, do me a favor: Don’t forget how lucky you are! Now go on, hug the person next to you…….unless you don’t know them, because you might get arrested.

Yields about 6 cups; more depending on whether you add water.

Lisa @ Crazy Adventures in Parenting February 6, 2012 at 4:34 pm

That sauce is gorgeous, and so are you, as is your heart. Many hugs and positive thoughts going out to you during this time. How I wish *I* could be the one cooking to help lift your spirits and show you a lil lovin’ :)

sally February 6, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Thank you for sharing your story. This really touched my heart as I can relate. I know I hardly know you Jen but since I read your page every few day’s I know you have a big heart. God Bless you and Your Family our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Kimberly/Foodie City Mom February 6, 2012 at 8:17 pm

I’m so sorry to hear about the challenges going on with your loved ones. You are right though…a good meal can be a healing thing! *Hugs*

Tracy @ Sugar Loco February 6, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Wishing you a big helping of comfort. Thank you for sharing your story and your recipe. xxoo!

susan from food blogga February 7, 2012 at 9:13 am

Jennifer, I’m so sorry. I can’t imagine how difficult this must be for you and your mom. My thoughts are with you.

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 7, 2012 at 9:40 am

Oh my God! How horrible, your porro Mom. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your Mom. I’m so sorry.

leslie February 7, 2012 at 9:44 am

Oh my goodness. That is awful. so sorry to hear that!

Jean (Lemons and Anchovies) February 7, 2012 at 11:40 am

What an awful thing to happen–I’m really sorry to hear. I hope your mom and your family heal soon from this. I admire your attitude about the situation and for me, it is a good reminder of how lucky I am also for the people in my life. Puts things in perspective.

Your marinara sauce sounds perfect.

Erika February 7, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I am sorry to hear about your mom that is so scary! What a great recipe this is! I can’t wait to try it out.

Aggie February 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Hang in there. I hear ya on how food comforts, it really does. Hope this sauce gave you one big hug. xo

Shaina February 7, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I know it’s been hard, Jen. I hope things start to look up soon and you’re able to give your mom the care she needs. xo

Diane {Created by Diane} February 7, 2012 at 3:25 pm

thoughts and prayers that you mom is doing better :) great recipe.

Niri February 7, 2012 at 3:27 pm

They say cooking is therapeutic so I hope writing about it is more than therapeutic. You are an amazing person and one of the kindest (and smartest) people I know. Wishing you strength my friend.

Miss @ Miss in the Kitchen February 7, 2012 at 10:18 pm

I know it has been a real struggle for you Jen and you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Tickled Red February 8, 2012 at 11:18 am

Aww…sweetie I’m so sorry that you and your family are in pain. I hope that everything is resolved soon and that the healing process can begin sooner rather than later {hugs}. Italian is the perfect comfort food ;D