I was not scared at all when I was first introduced to Jill Smokler at Blogher 2010. Then again, she was not introduced as ‘Scary Mommy‘. In fact, I thought she was very nice and dare I say ‘sweet’ (don’t tell her that I said that)
When I found out that Jill was coming to Rhode Island as part of her ‘Confessions Of A Scary Mommy‘ book tour, I was excited, not scared. Well, I was scared. Scared that I would not be able to meet up or talk to her while she was in town.
Luckily, a group of us bloggers were able to have dinner with Jill prior to her book signing and better yet, I was able to spend some time with her before dinner. I headed over to Barnes & Noble early to grab a copy of her book and while I was in line to pay for it, in walked Jill.
We chatted a bit and then she signed the book for me before we joined the others for dinner. See?!
We headed over to Carrabba’s for dinner where I nibbled on some soup and salad in between laughs.
Later in the evening I wrote Jill with two requests: First, I sort of demanded some eye cream as I knew I would be up way too late reading her book. Second, I asked if in lieu of a traditional ‘interview’, if she would share ’10 Things You Didn’t Know About Me’.
And guess what? She said yes (to the 10 things, not the eye cream) so without further ado: 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Me with Scary Mommy:
1. My first drunken experience involved a bottle of Goldschläger when I was 16 and was so bad that to this day, the smell of cinnamon makes me gag.
2. I never, ever remember my dreams.
3. I have to sleep with a blanket on even if it’s 100 degrees. I’ll just blast the AC.
4. I polish my nails just so I can pick the polish off in one single peel.
5. My favorite smell in the world is the ocean.
6. You will never see me dance. Ever.
7. My brain is incapable of remembering phone numbers. I’m completely screwed if I ever lose my phone.
8. My curly hair was pin straight until I turned 13.
9. My favorite show in the world is Charmed. I plan my days around the reruns.
10. I’m really not all that scary (But, you probably figured that out already.)
Need more scary stuff? Here is Jill ‘scaring’ people at the book signing….
Jill ‘scaring’ us during dinner: