Roasted Whole Green Beans Fries

by Jennifer on May 22, 2012

Post image for Roasted Whole Green Beans Fries

It isn’t easy being green. Not.At.All.

When it comes to being a green vegetable that is. Many of us, including you picky adults, make those nasty faces when you see a green vegetable coming at you. Shame on you!

To be honest, green beans are one vegetable that all four of us enjoy in this family however, I have been making the same ole’ steamed side dish foreva so I decided to change things up.

I spent some time hanging with my Twitter peeps and we had a lively discussion about green beans. My fitness pal Monica said she like to make green beans by sauteeing them on the stove-top and that got me to thinking ‘Can I make green bean ‘fries’?

As they were in the oven I panicked at the thought of them being all brown and wrinkly and the family running for the hills when they saw them. I knew for my son, if I served then with a side of ketchup he would be intrigued at the very least.

He sees, he dips….

He bites and …..

Brittany May 22, 2012 at 10:14 am

Ideas like this are helping the fight against obesity. Awesome! I love your blog!

Tara @ Unsophisticook May 22, 2012 at 10:26 am

Our favorite restaurant took their yummy fried green beans off the menu a few months ago. Of course theirs were breaded and fried, so I’m sure these are much healthier. Will have to give them a try!

Shana D May 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I roast green beans and use pretty much the same seasonings. Still my kids wont touch them. I’ve even added a tiny bit of lemon zest to them which makes them AH-mazing but still they wont touch them. Boo

Katie @momslrb May 22, 2012 at 11:55 pm

I love green beans so I’m definitely trying these!

Wendy from Udi's May 23, 2012 at 11:32 am

What a great idea! I LOVE green beans, but have never thought to make fries out of them. I’m going to give this a try!

Debra Kapellakis May 27, 2012 at 7:57 am

COOL!

Andrea May 28, 2012 at 7:11 pm

These were the big hit at my Memorial Day cookout today. I used Basil Infused Olive Oil and only garlic powder, no salt. THey were delish. I may bake longer next time to get them a tad crunchier. Overall, huge success!

Linda July 12, 2013 at 12:57 am

I’ve found great success with grilling our veggies, including green beans, and the kids Love them! The grilled flavor really punches them up a bit, and makes them fun. I bought a grill basket so the veggies wouldn’t fall through. We also love grilled asparagus, romaine lettuce and baby carrots. Same spices and oil.