A Non-Fictional Tale: Italian Dressing Guacamole Recipe Straight Out of Texas

by Jennifer on July 7, 2012

Post image for A Non-Fictional Tale: Italian Dressing Guacamole Recipe Straight Out of Texas

I have this friend. This friend who I have never seen or met but she has been there for me lately as much as others I have seen 1,000 times.

We met in an online blogging group. She blogs about books so one day I messaged her asking about some summer reading selections. Then we got to chatting on the phone .

We chatted about books, family and health. We had a lovely conversation and I tell you, I could listen to her Southern accent ’til the cowboys come home. See, my friend lives in Texas.

Any-who, Andrea (oh, that is her name in case I forgot to tell you) told me, she has a recipe to share with me that her Aunt Frieda’s used to make. This recipe is called ‘Aunt Freida’s Guacamole’. She swore it was Texan food for the soul.

She told me that there is salad dressing in the recipe and my response was ‘Uhhhhhhh……ooooo-kay’. She said ‘Oh, darlin, in Texas, guacamole is its own food group so trust me!

And with that statement, I had to make it immediately. Now, she did not give me any measurements, just a list of ingredients that I adapted and what resulted was truly ‘food for the soul’

I strongly suggest, you make a bowl of this guacamole and then spend plenty of time on Andrea’s blog ‘Great Thoughts‘. Then you can head off to the book store or library and enjoy getting lost in books. Hear me Y’all?

Stephanie Kay July 7, 2012 at 11:35 pm

I had to click through the FB link to find out how YOU had a Texas guac recipe. Now I understand. I could just hear your friend speaking. Or maybe that was my own southern accent I heard. Either way, now I’m craving guac. And it’s bedtime. Thanks.

Jennifer July 8, 2012 at 7:23 am

Yeehaw Stephanie! Is the craving still there? I can make you some but for your brood I would need to double the recipe. ;)

Andrea July 8, 2012 at 9:10 am

I love this post! Accent, what Texas accent? :)

Catherine July 8, 2012 at 9:32 am

Maybe I’m a Texan and didn’t know it? I think guac is a basically a food group too. I’m glad Andrea has been able to be there for you during your tough time, Jennifer.

Becca Bernstein July 8, 2012 at 10:51 am

What a fun idea! This looks great!

Rajean July 8, 2012 at 10:54 am

I love this story and the players in it! Oh, and I’ve only been buying avocados for about a year! Must try this, the photos are wonderful.

Shana D July 8, 2012 at 11:47 am

I just made guacamole last night but didn’t see this until now. My first thought was like you uhhhh lol but I admit I am curious. I will have to try it with some dressing in it.
And Andrea rocks!

Katja of Skimbaco July 8, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’m curious too.. But I don’t even buy salad dressing, I usually make it :) And both you and Andrea are amazing women, so lucky to know you both.

Jennifer July 8, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Hi Katja! I make my own in most cases as well so simple whip together your favorite oil, vinegar and seasonings and the magic will happen. Delish!

ConnieFoggles July 8, 2012 at 11:35 pm

A beautifully woven story of friendship and food. Those are the kind of stories I like the best. And that recipe sounds divine!

Joi July 12, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I absolutely LOVE avocados and am anxious to try this. I love the story too. I can relate because my very best friend who is always there for me lives in Texas as well.

Aggie July 13, 2012 at 12:44 am

Saw this & the crostini & am havin midnight cravings! Dressing in guac? Must try!