by Jennifer on August 29, 2012

Post image for Homemade Peanut Butter Chocolate Cups (or Almond Butter Cups or Sunflower Butter Cups)

“In my world, everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies.”

This is what my son says most days.

Then he and our daughter break out into the type of belly laughs that make you break out into the uncontrollable laughter that sometimes results in hiccups.

This quote comes from ‘Horton Hears a Who’ and this is the movie the kids requested the most when traveling this summer.

My son also requests peanut butter just about every day so I made him a little something special to celebrate his first day in first grade. Our now third grader enjoyed them as well because she could eat some with no peanut butter.

I also decided to make it with Almond Butter and even try some with Sunflower Seed butter since many kids can not have PB or bring it to school. No matter which you use, it tastes great.

I also decided to use semisweet chocolate to lower the sugar content a bit. The kids didn’t mind but my husband complained. Doh!

p.s. I am personally grateful that I don’t poop butterflies. I would have to keep the windows open so they could get out. That would mean more flies and such in the house. Bzzzzzzz.

melissa August 29, 2012 at 9:37 pm

These look amazing! Yum!

Tera August 30, 2012 at 7:29 am

Yummmmmmmm these look and sound amazing!! Thanks for sharing

Jennifer Drummond August 30, 2012 at 7:40 am

I need to make PB cups! I have been thinking about it lately too!! I think thats probably a dangerous thing for me!!

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee August 30, 2012 at 7:51 am

I have not made homemade PB cups in a long time. This is def inspiring me to whip some up this fall.

Jennifer Burden @WorldMomsBlog August 30, 2012 at 10:54 pm

I’m so glad I stopped by. My daughter is starting kindergarten on Wednesday. I didn’t even think about a special snack when she comes home from her first day, and she loooovvves peanut butter cups! Thanks for this!

Jennifer Burden @WorldMomsBlog September 8, 2012 at 4:15 pm

We made them together, me and my five year old after she came after her first day of school! Ours weren’t as pretty as yours, but still stunning! We used peanut butter and dark chocolate. We liked the way they tasted, too! We doubled the recipe, so we later walked down the block and dropped some off at the family whose little girl also started kindergarten that day.

Our only change for next time, is that we would make our peanut butter balls a little smaller, so we had a little less filling and more chocolate! I may even try a few with some ground flax seed in the mixture. I’m so glad we made these! Thanks, again!

Jen :)

Jennifer September 8, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Love the idea of using the flax seed! Thank you for the ‘feed’back.

Debra September 19, 2012 at 8:13 am