I have been meaning to explore recipes using acorn squash so I picked one up at the market today.
I wanted to give this recipe a try since my Portuguese husband enjoys chorizo. I followed this recipe as Richard Blais (Top Chef fame) created it although I used a cranberry relish instead of canned jelly and I omitted the whipped yogurt topping he serves with it.
Acorn Squash Soup With Cranberry, Chorizo & Dannon® Oikos® Greek Nonfat Yogurt (Yield = 4-6)
by Richard Blais
1 acorn squash, chopped
¼ white onion, chopped
1 bay leaf
4 cloves garlic
2 tbsp celery, chopped
1 ½ quart chicken stock
1/2 cup Dannon Oikos plain Greek nonfat yogurt
¼ cup chorizo (or any sausage), crumbled
2 tbsp cranberry canned jelly (I used a cranberry relish)
3 leaves cilantro
1 tsp smoked paprika
1. In a stockpot, cook the onion, bay leaf, garlic and celery in some olive oil until garlic releases aroma.
2. Add the chopped acorn squash and then the chicken stock and simmer. When the acorn squash is cooked, swirl in Dannon Oikos plain Greek nonfat yogurt and remove from the heat.
3. In a separate pan, cook the chorizo and paprika.
4. When the squash is cooked thoroughly, purée the soup and pass through a sieve so it is smooth.
5. Garnish with the crumbled chorizo, the cilantro, pomegranate seeds, and a squirt of lime.
Recipe and photo provided by Dannon.