For breakfast today, we are having these trail mix muffins. Yes, trail mix because they contain raisins, nuts, sunflower seeds and possibly a few chocolate chips. The muffin tastes like a carrot cake or morning glory muffin but better. They are that good.
Nonstick cooking spray or 12 baking tins/liners
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/2 cup unbleached whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large eggs
1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
1/4 cup grapeseed or extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup applesauce, no sugar added
1 medium carrot, shredded
1/2 cup raisins
1/4 chopped nuts (I used walnuts)
2 tablespoons salted sunflower seeds (if unsalted, add 1/4 teaspoon salt)
2 tablespoons miniature chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Spray the muffin tin with baking spray or use baking cups.
3. Sift the first six ingredients together in large bowl, combine and set aside.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, oil, applesauce until combined.
5. Fold in the carrot, raisin, nuts, seeds and chocolate chips into the wet ingredients.
6. Add dry ingredients to wet and fold to combine.
7. Fill muffin tin and bake for about 25 – 30 minutes (Test doneness by inserting a toothpick and making sure it comes out ‘clean’).