I have made a sweet potato/zucchini bread now for about 2 years but decided it was time to ‘clean it up’. Use less oil, cut down on the white flour, no white sugar and add some more nutrients. So, applesauce, flax, and agave are utilized as well as whole wheat flour.
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
3 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2/3 cup agave nectar, light
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce, no sugar added
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 cup grated zucchini
1 1/4 cup peeled and grated sweet potato
2 tablespoon ground flax seed
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray muffin tin with baking spray.
3. Sift first six ingredients together in large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, beat nectar, sugar, oil, applesauce, eggs and vanilla until combined.
5. Mix grated potato and zucchini into wet ingredients (after grating, I cut more as they were long strips)
6. Add dry ingredients to wet and fold to combine.
7. Fill muffin pan-makes about 15 muffins or just overfill one pan to make 12. Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes (Test doneness by inserting a toothpick and making sure it comes out ‘clean’)