Quick and Easy Peanut Butter Granola Bars via How Sweet It Is

by Jennifer on January 28, 2011

Post image for Quick and Easy Peanut Butter Granola Bars via How Sweet It Is

Fun, Refreshing, Healthy with a touch of bacon on top. Yup, that is the food blog ‘How Sweet It Is’ that Jesscia Merchant created. Jessica is a former personal trainer who writes about food, fitness and living a healthy, balanced life at How Sweet It is. She believes in loving what you do and doing what you love, and enjoys bacon and the treadmill equally.

I enjoy Jessica’s blog as she seems so sweet and based on her storytelling, lots of fun. In fact, I have imagined her as the super fun but grown-up babysitter. The kids would love her to babysit, I am sure of it. I bet if she was babysitting they would eat BLT’s and giggle the whole time. I also wish Jessica was my neighbor as I know we would go for walks while sipping coffee or tea and then take turns making messes in each others kitchens while we created all kinds of tasty nibbles.

Okay, so anyhow, I was doing the daily check-in at her blog and saw that she made some 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola Bars. I wrote her and begged her to let me feature them here and her Chicken Macaroni & Cheese on Babble and if she did, I would send her bacon. Luckily, she said go for it but keep the bacon.

5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Granola Bars (Yield 12-16 granola squares)
4 cups rolled oats
2 tablespoons chia seeds (these are optional, I just love the texture they give)
1/2 cup unsalted peanuts, chopped
3/4 cup natural peanut butter, melted
1/2 cup brown rice syrup (honey works too!)

add ins!
chocolate chips
wheat germ
flaxseed
dried fruit (I made some with cherries!)
other nuts
seeds
coconut

Preheat over to 350.

In a large bowl, combine oats, chia seeds and peanuts. Add brown rice syrup (or honey) and mix to combine. Add melted peanut butter and mix until moistened. This works as a perfect, simple granola bar, but you can also throw in any add-ins at this time. Fold them into the dough. You may need to get in there with your hands and work the granola dough! If dough is still too dry (this can depend on your ingredients) add more peanut butter or syrup (or honey) 1 tablespoon at a time until moistened.

Press dough in a greased (non-stick spray) 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 25 minutes.

These would also work as a great no-bake granola bar, but I liked how they came together and the chocolate chips melted as they got warm. If you want to make no-bakes, simply press the dough into the pan and refrigerate for 60 minutes.

Kim ~ Quit Eating Out {Recipes to Make Dining Out A Choice, Not A Chore} January 28, 2011 at 12:33 pm

These look so great. What a good snack for my kiddos and I. I’m bookmarking to make this weekend! So glad to jump to your blog from Twitter…. Love it and will be a regular reader. Have a super weekend!!!

Jessica @ How Sweet January 28, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Thank you so much for the feature!

Emily January 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm

These sound delicious! Looking forward to making them myself!

5 Star Foodie January 28, 2011 at 1:25 pm

These look scrumptious, great that they are so quick to put together!

Jennifer January 28, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Hi Kim – love discovering new people and blogs so I am off to yours. Thank You for coming by

Cajun Chef Ryan January 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Bacon? Did you say bacon? Oh okay, well the granola does look great, and flax would be a good addition too!

Maria January 28, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I will be making these!

Jason's BBQ Adventures January 28, 2011 at 4:13 pm

Looks absolutely delicious! Love the bacon, as it makes everything better. :)

Cookin' Canuck January 28, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Oh my, these really sounds fantastic. Great combination of healthy and yum!

Marla January 28, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Love Jessica & her blog! Great feature. Can I join u for messy kitchens & walks??!!

Jeanette January 28, 2011 at 7:22 pm

I’ve been using chia seeds a lot lately, so I’ll have to try them in granola bars now!

Shaina January 30, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Love ‘em!

Diane {createdbydiane.blogspot.com} January 31, 2011 at 1:43 am

They sound delicious, I love peanut butter!

Robyn March 1, 2011 at 5:42 pm

I just made these and oh my goodness, they are amazing! They’re in my fridge right now to set, but I just had to lick the bowl and spatula…and the measuring cup I used to melt the peanut butter…

I added way more chia seeds than I probably should have, and substituted peanuts for almonds since I didn’t have any and although I adore peanut butter, I’m not really a fan of actual peanuts.

Katie December 1, 2011 at 10:18 am

I’m going to make these for my boyfriend, but really, they’re for me. :)

Tara December 3, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Saw this on Pininterest, they look delicious, how long do these last as I’d love to make these for lunches – if wrapped in plastic wrap after they are cooked do they need to stay refrigerated or can they sit out?

Amber Smith January 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm

How do you get them to stay together?? I just made this and when I cut them and tried to take out of pan, it all crumbled…

Jennifer January 3, 2012 at 8:20 am

Hi Amber, I will send the question to Jessica

Eva B January 10, 2012 at 1:01 pm

The same thing happened with mine, Amber. It tastes delicious, but I’m pretty disappointed that they just crumble. I put them in the fridge, so hopefully they will set more, but I don’t think they will. Disappointing especially because that was a lot of peanut butter to waste :(

Jamie Griffith January 11, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Recipe was a bomb! I used more PB and Honey than called for and they still fell apart. Disappointing, I have been looking for a good recipe for granola bars! Oh well, at least I have PB granola.

Whitney M January 16, 2012 at 5:42 pm

So simple but very delicious AND healthy! Great recipe :)

Jenny January 31, 2012 at 11:18 am

I just saw this on pinterest and just had to click through to see your pyrex. :)

angela February 3, 2012 at 8:59 am

Mine fell apart as well. I still love the taste though. I am just eating with a spoon instead! Do I just need to add more peanut butter you think? I did add in the following: 1/4 c wheat germ, 1/4 c milled flax seed, 1/2 c crasins and 1/2c apricots. I put a whole 16 oz. jar of reduced fat natural peanut butter and added more honey as well. I would love for them to be a bar so it is easier to eat. I would love any insight on this! Thanks!

Ashly February 3, 2012 at 7:40 pm

Have you ever made these with agave nectar?

Lenda Humphrey February 4, 2012 at 3:21 pm

This is great! I saw a new display of gluten free bars at the grocery and on the front it said gluten free… and in the ingredients said wheat.. READ LABELS because it is an uneducated world out there lol. Anyway.. I am making these.. with marshmallows.. MMM!! <3

Jill February 4, 2012 at 10:22 pm

Do these come out chewy or crunchy? Also, any word on the crumbling issue? I’m on a VERY limited budget (new teacher with out of state college debt!) and don’t want to waste the money on ingredients if they just crumble! thanx!

Jennifer February 5, 2012 at 1:24 pm

HI hon – this is not my recipe, it was a guest post so feel free to go to the How Sweet It Is website.

Marissa February 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Thanks so much for the great recipe! I’m thinking of trying this out today since I have everything on-hand, but I have a question first: my husband and I are in the process of trying to go sugar-free since we both have a bit of weight to lose and I’m 4 months pregnant, so I’m wondering if I could substitute agave nectar for the brown rice syrup/honey. Would that work in terms of flavor, or would it make it overly sweet? Thanks again, great recipe and I can’t wait to try it out!

shana February 7, 2012 at 2:20 pm

i made these; while they were very crumbly, you can eat the crumbled parts as granola! so, not a total waste. i’m going to try again with more pb or rice syrup.

Jennifer February 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I have heard from a few people that they were crumbly. Feel free to contact Jessica at her blog and let her know – she may have a suggestion. Thx!

Jennifer February 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Hi Jamie – head on over to ‘How Sweet It Is’ and ask her for tips. thanks

Jennifer February 7, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Hi Marissa – congrats on the pregnancy. The agave may be a bit thin so maybe a bit extra PB?

Jennifer February 7, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I have not but head over to ‘How Sweet It Is’ and ask her if she has tried it.

Lorraine February 8, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Would you have an approximate on the calories per portion?

melody February 14, 2012 at 11:29 am

Recipe fail. Right into the trash. The “dough” wouldn’t stick together at all.

Jennifer February 14, 2012 at 11:32 am

Oh Melody – so sorry to hear this. Write Jessica at How Sweet It Is and see if she has any tips.

Jessica February 27, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Hello, I went over to her site but couldn’t find these. The closest I found was some pretzel bars. http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/09/peanut-butter-pretzel-granola-bars/

Am I missing them?

Karyn March 3, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Mine would not stick together as I cut them into bars, either. But no one is complaining about the pbutter granola!!! :)

Jenne March 5, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Wow, looks good can’t wait to try them. But I’m going to substitute chopped almonds and almond butter in place of the peanuts/butter. Think it’ll work?

Jennifer March 6, 2012 at 9:18 am

Hi Jessica – the post was a guest post on my blog so the recipe is not on her however, her contact info, is so you can email her.

Jennifer March 6, 2012 at 9:18 am

Is the almond butter the same type of consistency as PB?

kari March 11, 2012 at 12:31 pm

This sounds delicious with all the yummy ingredients I would just keep it in a baggie or jar for snacking or to sprinkle on yogurt or ice cream if they crumble. Why throw these yummy crumbs away? No waste here!! My college son is gonna love this!!

Tina March 13, 2012 at 10:44 pm

I made these today and they crumbled into the tastiest granola! Bar fail but total win as a granola recipe! :) thanks!

Jennifer March 14, 2012 at 7:40 am

Hi Tina,so glad you enjoy the flavors. A few people have told me that they are not holding as bars so I have suggested that they reach out to Jessica, who created the recipe.

Jennifer March 14, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Hi jessica – no, you are not missing anything. She guest posted here but you can email her to get her suggestions on how to make the recipe better or even let her know that it is not working. Good Luck! p.s. I am going to work on the recipe and modify it until it works.

Dawn M March 19, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I made these this weekend, First batch.. I didn’t use enough PB or raw honey or I had a brain melt down and I burned them : So I learned my oven doesn’t need 25 min :)

Next batch .. worked out great for granola, not bars.. but oh well! I added in dried cherries and almonds and cacao nibs All Vegan and Gluten Free :)

Christel March 27, 2012 at 10:25 am

I will never buy granola bars again! These are perfect, crunchy or chewy! Great snack and makes a great cereal too!

kirsten April 3, 2012 at 5:39 pm

So making these in a few minutes for my little man. He loves the peanutbutter chocolate ones from the store and I dont like whats in them. I will have to get some brown rice syrup for the next time I make these. I will post a link to your blog from mine so people know where to get these!

michelle April 20, 2012 at 11:23 am

These are awesome. I used peanut butter instead of butter and 2 cups quick oats and 2 cups rice puff cereal and a capful of wheatgerm. I also thru in some coconut, they turned out great with a wonderful flavor. Thanks for this recipe, my kids and I eat these from the store all the time. This will save me some money & I know exactly whats in them. Thanks again

Lindsay April 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm

I made these and they are awesome! I was nervous they wouldn’t stick together after reading all of the comments. Mine stuck together pretty well, so I thought I would offer some advice. I don’t want someone to not make these because they are worried they won’t stick together. These are so good, don’t pass up the recipe! Anyway, I added a bit more brown rice syrup than it called for to make sure they were really moist. I put them in the 9×13 and pressed down on them w/wax paper (to make sure they were really set). Then I read some where else not to cut them until they are really cool (a couple hours). Then when you do cut, use a butcher knife so that you can cut them in one motion. Don’t use a small knife where you have to “saw”. Anyway maybe that will help others! Thanks for the recipe!!