Summertime Picnic Food Ideas: Wheat Berry Apple Salad in a Jar

by Jennifer on June 9, 2011

Post image for <span id=Summertime Picnic Food Ideas: Wheat Berry Apple Salad in a Jar" />

Dining with food bloggers can be a real trip as we are an odd bunch. When food is placed in front of us or when we make a recipe, what is the first thing we do?

Dive in to eat? Season with salt & pepper? place our napkin on our laps? Nope, we grab our cameras and prepare to capture the drool-producing edible material in all it’s glory. Turn the plate, adjust the light, decide on the best settings for the camera, style the table contents. Click! Click! Click!

Now you may eat. This habit can catch many off guard. Most folk, grab the salt & pepper shakers and dive in but we won’t allow it. ‘You aren’t going to eat that right now are you?’ or you may hear ‘Stop!’ from your food bloggy friend. I was going to say we don’t bite, but we might if we don’t get our photo opp.

The folks at King Arthur Flourhad to adjust to this. They would innocently go to kneed some bread and the entire room would fill with the sound of shutters and sometimes a request to slow down or perform a do-over.

I did not take the time to write down any measurements on the ingredients below but do not get stressed, just experiment and enjoy.

Wheat Berry Apple Salad
Cooked wheat berries
Organic granny smith apple, chopped
Dried cranberries
Scallions or sweet onion, minced
Parsley, chopped
lemon juice
balsamic vinegar
olive oil

Mix all salad ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Whisk the lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and olive oil until well combined. Toss with salad.

What are some of your favorite picnic foods?

Cathy/ShowFoodChef June 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm

Love this idea, shared it on FB site, too. Gorgeous pics, glad you paused to click on that one :D

Cheryl June 9, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Wheat Berry salad is my favorite….and with apples? yummier. I’m going to make this. AND I’m not a food blogger but I’m always taking ‘well-plated’ pics. The kidlets tend to get annoyed because I make them wait for the perfect shot.

A Boston Food Diary June 9, 2011 at 6:57 pm

Mmmm this was a delicious salad-your rendition looks just as good!!! Great synopsis of our crazy photo taking :-)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel June 9, 2011 at 7:20 pm

That’s too funny and I hear so true about eating with other bloggers. So far I’ve yet to experience that outside of my own personal craziness. Maybe someday. Love the last shot – so pretty!

Jeanette June 10, 2011 at 6:31 am

Jennifer, it is funny isn’t it how food bloggers can’t just eat right away, we must look at the presentation, and snap away (assuming it’s allowed where you eat!). This salad sounds nice and healthy, perfect for summer.

heather June 10, 2011 at 6:32 am

I played around with ingredients like this (+ a Dijon/white wine vinaigrette) in a wheat berry salad during apple season several years ago, and what a fresh treat! Though I suppose only a dietitian would use the word ‘treat’ to describe a healthy, wheaty salad. Oh well, it’s delicious and good for you, and definitely something out of the ordinary to serve as a side dish for most people. Great idea serving it in a jar!

Cheers,

*Heather*

NYCSingleMom June 10, 2011 at 7:36 am

Not sure about this one as I have never eaten wheat berries, but I am always game for a new recipe.

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles June 10, 2011 at 7:51 am

This is a beautiful salad – perfect for upcoming summer picnic packing!

Sanjeeta kk June 10, 2011 at 8:09 am

Love the refreshing salad with grains and fruits in it. Perfect summer time meal!

Shaina June 11, 2011 at 2:18 am

I love those little ants! My favorites are homemade lemonade and easy pasta and grain salads. Jars are perfect for those, and you just pack a spoon and call it a day.

Jennifer June 11, 2011 at 8:39 am

Thanks Shaina – as long as the ants stay outside, I will be happy.

Jennifer June 11, 2011 at 8:40 am

Can’t wait to pack everything up in mason jars for picnics!

Jennifer June 11, 2011 at 8:40 am

Thank You Brenda – do you picnic often?

Jennifer June 11, 2011 at 8:41 am

Be sure to give them a try – just mix with your favorite ingredients the first time and I think you will be hooked. The berries do not actually have much flavor but they add a nice and somewhat chewy texture.

Snippets of Thyme June 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm

I noticed this on TS and thought the photo was so excellent. The dish looks delicious and now I found a fellow “thyme” blog. Hurray!

Elle June 14, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I adore salads like this! A must try for the summer.

Rachel - A Southern Fairytale June 21, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Too cute! Love the tablecloth ;-)

carrie June 28, 2011 at 3:14 pm

That is a very interesting picnic idea. To be honest i’ve never heard of wheat berries. It looks really good though. I will have to experiment on my family ;)

Amanda April 21, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I just whipped up a batch of this and based on the initial taste it is going to be AH-MAZ-ING :) Saw this receipe on Pinterest–wheat berries are my new obsession. Thanks for sharing!

Cara May 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm

This recipe looks delicious! Can you can this salad?

Jennifer May 29, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I will be sure to insure in before sending Cara. wink wink