Hello Everyone! My husband has this week off so I asked some fellow mom-fitness minded bloggers to share their tips on fitting in fitness. First up is a member of the Tristate Fitness Group, ‘Fancy Nancy’. You will adore her!
Hi! My name is Nancy, or Fancy Nancy as my readers know me as, and I am the real-life running momma behind “Living the Dream”! I am a wife, mom of 1 toddler (with another baby coming in October), teacher, and runneraholic living on Cape Cod, Massachusetts. I love to run but more than that I love fitness and being healthy while inspiring those around me.
Before I had our daughter Em, fitting in fitness was a no-brainer. I would go to work as a teacher, come home from work and do a few errands or relax, and then head to the gym for 2 hours. There was time for dinner, chores, and more time for relaxing. Then we welcomed our daughter into the world and well….. things were different! My life of leisure and fitness was no longer!! Being a working mom, it would be much easier to let fitness slide, but then again I value my sanity! Here are a few tips for you working moms out there that are trying to find the time for fitness in your life!
1. Get it done early…. I find that if I can get up before the house does, then I have no excuses not to get it done (except that I’m tired). I can’t blame anyone but myself at that hour! Is it hard to get up early? Sure but once you get into the groove of it, it’s over. Lay out your stuff the night before, pack your lunch the night before, and have it ready to go. You will just need to get up and go!
2. Include your kids…Going for a run? Throw them in the stroller or have them ride their bikes. Some of the best moments Em and I have had have been while running together! We pack a snack and a few books and off we go!
I also have her join in when I am doing weight circuits. She picks up her 1lbs and off she goes! It’s great to be that example for the kids that fitness can be fun!
3. Be a scheduler…Each week I sit down with a snapshot of my week and I schedule my runs, weights, and any other fitness for the week. When my hubby was doing his body building competition, we had to sit down together to do this to ensure we both got everything in! A friend of mine asked me how I had time to run and work out so much and I told her I schedule it just like I schedule any other thing that is important. Put it on the calendar ladies!!
4. Use your weekends…My long runs are on Saturday but I use my weekends to get prepped for the week. I prep my lunches and breakfasts, as well as get things ready for dinners and my daughter’s lunches. Getting this done ahead of time saves me from wasting time during the week when I can be working out or having fun with my family!
5. Get creative…One way to get in your workouts on a strict time schedule is to break them up. If I know that the weather is going to be nice enough in the afternoon after work or I have a date with my running group, I go to the gym in the morning to do weights. If I do my cardio in the am, then I do my weights at home after Em goes to bed. It is rare that I have enough time to do both cardio and weights in one trip so I have to get creative. Also having the option to work out at home can help you to fit things in. I use videos, OnDemand workouts, and many Internet sources (like Facebook and Pinterest) to find amazing workouts that I can do at home!